A brand new recreation within the Oddworld franchise has arrived and it’s simply as troublesome as ever. Our useful Soulstorm information contains recommendations on every little thing from saving Mudokons and mastering Abe’s expertise, to unlocking bonus ranges and getting each ending.
Whereas 2014’s New ‘n’ Tasty was a straight remake of the unique Abe’s Oddysee, Soulstorm takes the sequel Abe’s Exoddus and turns it into one thing fully totally different, including new story components and ranges in addition to a crafting menu and an improved Quarma system.
Because of this, each newcomers and longtime followers of the Oddworld franchise will face fairly a excessive studying curve when taking part in Soulstorm and trying to avoid wasting all 1,400 Mudokons. It is a very troublesome recreation, and also you’re in all probability going to die loads.
To try to make the expertise a bit simpler for you, we’ve put collectively a listing of suggestions and tips and quick Soulstorm guides on the varied options and gameplay mechanics featured in Oddworld Soulstorm.
Mastering Abe’s motion
For those who’ve ever performed an Oddworld recreation earlier than, one of many first belongings you’ll discover while you bounce into Soulstorm is that Abe is now much more fluid and agile than he has been prior to now.
Controlling him is simpler, however he’s nonetheless clunky when in comparison with most fashionable gaming heroes. This implies mastering his motion is much more essential, particularly when one unsuitable transfer can result in loss of life.
Abe’s skills: Oddworld Soulstorm information
Listed below are a few of Abe’s skills and suggestions for how you can use them:
- Sneak (L1): It is a transfer you’ll be utilizing loads in Soulstorm. Sneaking helps you stroll proper previous sleeping enemies and keep away from alerting close by patrolling enemies. Any Mudokons following you’ll sneak too.
- Dash (R1): For those who’re ever noticed by enemies or want to flee a high-octane scenario, working will provide help to high-tail it out of there loads quicker. Simply do not forget that doing so will certainly alert close by enemies.
- Double bounce (X, X): It is a staple of platformers, however don’t underestimate it. Double-tapping the bounce button will get you out of loads of sticky conditions, and provide help to make it as much as excessive ledges.
- Roll (O): There are a few causes you’ll need to roll in Soulstorm. Firstly, doing so will provide help to get beneath any low ceilings, like in caves. Secondly, if Abe will get set on fireplace, you possibly can roll to avoid wasting him.
- Disguise (Sq.): Abe can cover in lockers utilizing the work together button (Sq. on PS4/PS5). This may get him out of enemy sight and can assist you sneak by means of areas when there appears to be no different strategy to progress.
- Loot (Sq.): In addition to hiding in lockers, Abe also can loot them through the use of the work together button. It’s not simply lockers, although, as Abe can loot bins and search sleeping enemies for gadgets, too.
- Chant (L2): One of the crucial important options of Oddworld is chanting. This lets you possess enemies, hit sure switches to unlock doorways, and open Hen Portals to free your Mudokon followers. Bear in mind that you’ve got a restricted time to chant, and Abe will likely be susceptible whereas doing this.
- Throw gadgets (R2): There are a variety of things that Abe can discover or craft, like flares to mild up darkish caves, water bottles to place out fires, and journey mines to knock out enemies. Mastering every merchandise – in addition to your aiming expertise – will make finishing ranges loads simpler.
Learn how to save Mudokons in Soulstorm
Finishing every stage in Oddworld Soulstorm is troublesome sufficient as it’s, however you’ll even be making an attempt to avoid wasting Mudokons as you progress. This provides an entire new problem to the expertise, and it’s one you’ll need to decide to, as we’ll focus on later.
In some ranges, Abe will observe a scripted sequence the place a whole bunch of Mudokons escape within the background. All you’ll must do to free them is eradicate hostile enemies and destroy any obstacles of their manner. These are by far the simplest Mudokons to avoid wasting.
In different phases, you’ll must dedicate extra time to your Mudokon-freeing mission. You can see them round every stage, typically in hidden areas, and also you would possibly must ‘heal’ them earlier than they’ll be part of your crew.
- Recruit any Mudokons you discover by urgent the ‘Hey’ command (you would possibly must heal them first).
- Maintain them secure as you journey by means of every stage. In the event that they die, they’re gone.
- Whenever you come throughout a Hen Portal, it’s time to set them free.
- Chant and direct your glowing orb into the portal.
- The entire Mudokons following you’ll now bounce into the portal and be free.
Bear in mind, earlier than you free any Mudokons which are following Abe, you would possibly want their assist to finish sure puzzles.
Learn how to command Mudokons in Soulstorm
Abe might want to use his fellow Mudokons to get by means of varied puzzles in Soulstorm. Typically they are often instructed to face on particular person switches to open doorways, different instances they’ll assault enemies for you.
- Hey/Comply with Me: Urgent up on the d-pad will get a Mudokon to affix your crew, or make an present Mudokon observe you round. Lengthy urgent will concern this command to all close by Mudokons.
- Wait: Urgent down on the d-pad will instruct the closest Mudokon to face nonetheless, which is good for avoiding traps and enemies. Lengthy urgent will get all close by Mudokons to cease of their tracks.
- Aggressive: Urgent left on the d-pad will put your Mudokon followers into ‘aggro’ mode. This implies they’ll be up for a battle if they’ve offensive gadgets to carry.
- Passive: Urgent proper on the d-pad will instruct your Mudokon followers into ‘passive’ mode. They received’t assault enemies while you do that.
Learn how to craft gadgets in Soulstorm
One of many largest new options in Oddworld Soulstorm is crafting. It’s been described by creator Lorne Lanning as “crafting-lite” and that’s just about what it’s – easy and largely elective. It may well undoubtedly provide help to get by means of some troublesome areas.
Gamers can discover uncooked crafting gadgets by looting lockers, bins, and even sleeping enemies. There will even be gadgets left on the bottom inside caves, so take a flare with you and ensure you’re exploring each crevice of these darkish areas.
Navigate to the menu’s crafting window, and you may see the supplies you must construct totally different devices. For instance, a Smokescreen will be made by combining a Brew Bottle and Detergent, whereas a Fizzy Pow Grenade will be crafted with a Fizzy Pop Soda and Blastos Mints.
Extra devices will likely be unlocked as you progress by means of the sport, so ensure you fill up on uncooked crafting gadgets as you play by means of every stage. They’ll turn out to be useful.
What’s Quarma in Soulstorm?
Quarma is Oddworld’s model of karma. It makes a welcome return in Soulstorm, but it surely’s been revamped and now performs a a lot larger position within the recreation; on the finish of each stage, you’ll be introduced with varied statistics together with a Quarma rating.
However what does your Quarma rating imply? Effectively, it’s based mostly on a number of various factors, the primary one being what number of Mudokons you handle to avoid wasting, and what number of you let die. It additionally takes under consideration the way you take care of enemies like Sligs, who will be peacefully knocked out or brutally destroyed.
In the end, your Quarma rating is predicated on how ‘good’ or ‘dangerous’ your model of Abe has been in every stage. Past simply providing an attention-grabbing perception into your gameplay type, your Quarma scores will really determine which ending you get within the recreation. Extra on that later.
Learn how to unlock bonus ranges: Soulstorm information
Oddworld Soulstorm has 15 ranges to deal with by default. Every one may take you anyplace from half-hour to an hour relying on how a lot of a completionist you’re, so there’s a lot to do already within the recreation.
Nonetheless, there are two additional ranges which you can unlock if you wish to get the bonus ending. Doing so received’t be simple, but it surely’ll be price it for hardcore Oddworld followers, or those that simply need to see every little thing Soulstorm has to supply.
With the intention to unlock ranges 16 and 17, you’ll want to avoid wasting a minimum of 80% of the Mudokons in 12 or extra ranges. When you’ve carried out this, the ultimate ranges will likely be playable, and also you’ll additionally be capable of uncover the ultimate ending.
Learn how to get Soulstorm’s totally different endings
There are a complete of 4 endings you possibly can unlock in Oddworld Soulstorm. Which ending you’ll get is determined by what number of Mudokons you handle to avoid wasting in every stage (see, we instructed you it was essential).
Whereas it might sound apparent to intention for the ‘good’ ending after which the ‘ultimate’ ending, Oddworld Inhabitants have revealed that the ‘dangerous’ ending comes with an explosive cinematic that’s to not be missed.
Listed below are the necessities for unlocking every Soulstorm ending:
- Worst ending: Save a minimum of 80% of the Mudokons in six or fewer ranges.
- Dangerous ending: Save a minimum of 80% of the Mudokons in seven to 11 ranges.
- Good ending: Save a minimum of 80% of the Mudokons in 12 or extra ranges.
- Last ending: Save a minimum of 80% of the Mudokons in all 17 ranges.
That’s it for our Oddworld Soulstorm information. Hopefully, you’ll now be capable of deal with the sport head-on, craft each merchandise, save all these Mudokons, and unlock that ultimate ending!
Ensure you take a look at our Oddworld Soulstorm review, the place we known as it a “revamped expertise that manages to really feel traditional but contemporary, with themes which are simply as related as they had been 20 years in the past.”