Timber, Candles and Lights Make for a Festive Celebration, however Can Characterize a Fireplace Hazard If Not Dealt with Correctly
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. — Pacific Fuel and Electrical Firm (PG&E) encourages prospects to make use of warning and put security first when adorning this vacation season to scale back the chance of a fireplace within the dwelling. Lighting gear, candles, menorahs and the Christmas timber can change into vacation hazards and spark a devastating hearth. By having a plan and making minor changes to adorning and cooking, the vacation season can stay festive and secure for everybody.
“We all know dwelling fires enhance throughout the holidays, so we encourage our prospects to decelerate, take the best precautions and keep secure this vacation season,” mentioned Laurie Giammona, PG&E Senior Vice President and Chief Buyer Officer. “After an unprecedented yr the vacations can be additional particular so long as you make security a part of your smaller household celebrations.”
Based on the Nationwide Fireplace Safety Affiliation (NFPA), candle fires enhance this month. Nearly 60% of dwelling fires involving vacation decorations have been began by candles within the month of December in comparison with 30% in January and November. The 2 peak days for candle fires are Christmas Day and Christmas Eve. Additionally, Hanukkah is a time to pay additional particular consideration to candles additionally.
Listed below are some tricks to maintain you and your family members secure throughout the holidays:
Candle and Cooking Security
- By no means use lit candles to embellish a tree. All the time extinguish candles earlier than leaving the room or going to mattress.
- Preserve lit candles away from decorations and different issues that may burn.
- By no means go away a lit menorah or candles unattended.
- Keep within the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop. Begin with a clear oven to scale back the chance of a grease hearth.
The household Christmas tree can also change into an sudden hazard. Based on the NFPA, on common, Christmas tree dwelling fires resulted in loss of life 4 instances extra typically than dwelling fires and not using a tree. Lighting gear was concerned in virtually 40 % of dwelling tree fires.
Christmas Tree Security
- Earlier than inserting a recent tree within the stand, lower two inches” from the bottom of the trunk to assist it soak up water.
- Be sure that the tree is a minimum of three toes away from any warmth supply, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, warmth vents or lights.
- Buy flame-retardant metallic or synthetic timber. For actual timber, make certain it has recent, inexperienced needles that aren’t simply damaged. Preserve dwell timber as moist as doable by giving them water each day.
PG&E additionally encourages residents to create a family emergency preparedness plan and share it with all the household. For extra methods to remain secure this vacation season, go to www.pge.com/safety.
Pacific Fuel and Electrical Firm, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is without doubt one of the largest mixed pure gasoline and electrical vitality corporations in the US. Based mostly in San Francisco, with greater than 24,000 staff, the corporate delivers a few of the nation’s cleanest vitality to almost 16 million folks in Northern and Central California. For extra info, go to pge.com and pge.com/news.