As the vacation season is now behind us, many people gardeners start to dream of heat spring days after we can spend extra time in our gardens. Reap the benefits of January to plan and put together for the gardening season.
Normal Backyard Suggestions
- Be sure your instruments are prepared for the spring rising season. Sharpen any chopping instruments you might have and alter the oil in any motorized backyard gear.
- Add lime to your backyard and panorama in case your soil check outcomes really helpful including lime. Lime takes a number of months to vary the soil pH, so including it now will give it time to work earlier than the rising season.
- Management winter weeds akin to wild garlic and chickweed with a broadleaf herbicide on a heat day following product label instructions.
- Keep away from heavy visitors on dormant lawns. Dry grass is definitely damaged and the crown of the plant could also be severely broken or killed.
Bushes, Shrubs and Flowers
- Get pleasure from winter blooming perennials akin to hellebores, rosemary and camellias.
This time of the 12 months is an efficient time to mulch panorama beds. Beds are simpler to entry throughout this time of 12 months whereas there may be much less foliage and crops have died down.
- Early within the New Yr, winter-flowering camellias (Camellia japonica) will start displaying their lovely blooms. Get pleasure from their present, but in addition be vigilant to rake up and get rid of any spent blossoms that drop to the bottom. These fallen flowers are prime breeding materials for petal blight, a fungal illness that may discolor future blooms with ugly splotches of brown.
- Examine your own home panorama to see what additions or enhancements could be made this spring.
- Water simply earlier than a chilly snap to assist crops survive bitter temperatures.
- Home crops with massive leaves and easy foliage, akin to philodendrons, dracaena and rubber plant profit if their leaves are washed at intervals to take away mud and dirt, serving to hold the leaf pores open.
Fruit, Greens and Herbs
- When reviewing your backyard catalogs for brand spanking new varieties, an necessary consideration is improved insect and/or illness resistance. Watch additionally for drought-tolerant sorts.
- Order your small fruit crops like strawberry, blueberry, and blackberry for a mid-March planting.
- January and February is the time to begin pruning grapevines.
- You can begin cool season greens (broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collards, kale, lettuce, mustard, onions, backyard peas, radishes, rutabagas, spinach, turnips) from seed indoors throughout the month of January. Plant these cool-season veggies outdoors within the backyard in February.
- Plant asparagus crowns this month when soil is dry sufficient to work.
Jessica Strickland is an agriculture extension agent, specializing in horticulture for North Carolina Cooperative Extension in Wayne County.